DIY Arrow Photo Display

I made a thing! Look at the thing I made! And easily make one yourself. Seriously, this was so easy. I had a wooden dowel laying around (a...



I made a thing! Look at the thing I made! And easily make one yourself. Seriously, this was so easy. I had a wooden dowel laying around (as we all do, of course), and decided to put it to use. This is what I came up with. This project took me less than 20 minutes, and cost me almost nothing to make. Want one for yourself? Keep reading. 


Here's what you'll need: 
1. a wooden dowel or stick
2. photos and other relatively flat things to display
3. paperclips ( I used about 40)
4. heavy paper or card stock
5. tape
6. scissors
7. paint (optional)


I started by painting my dowel black. That was an unnecessary step, but I really wanted the arrow to stand out against my white walls.

While the dowel dried, I drew out a V shape on the back of my card stock. I cut that out and used it as a template to make two more. I also cut out a small triangle to use as the tip of the arrow.










Then I arranged my photos in the way I wanted them to hang. I actually ended up hanging them backwards, but the overall shape was the same.

Starting from the bottom of each column, I connected each photo to the one above it using a chain of three paperclips: the bottom one of those clips I clipped to the photo, and the topmost I taped to the photo above it. The third, center paperclip helped the chains and the photos lay flat.












I then made four chains (one for each column), five paperclips long, and slid these along the dowel, being sure to space them far enough apart for the photos to hang beneath them. Then I hung that sucker on the wall.



I  attached the arrow tip and "feathers" while the dowel was on the wall, using some double sided tape, and then column by column, I attached the chains of photos to the paperclip chains already on the dowel. And boom! Done! :)


I love this thing. The black really pops off of the wall. The paperclips give off a metallic, industrial feeling that I'm trying to bring in to my bedroom, but the photos and the polka dot card stock keep it from looking too cold. It was very easy to make, and could  easily be tailored to match any color palate by swapping out paint and card stock colors. I hope you make one!

See you soonish!
Maria







You Might Also Like

0 comments